Merrell believes nothing should get in the way of enjoying active outdoor adventures. Merrell hiking boots, trail running shoes and apparel are built on Merrell’s outdoor heritage, quality and performance. The trail is the core of our design philosophy and has continued to guide us in the development of innovative products that inspire and enable enjoyment of the outdoors.
The Apparel Product Development Manager is responsible for the day to day management of Apparel/Accessories. The position drives the research and development process commencing at the brief hand off all the way through to the commercialization of each seasonal product line. Critical accountabilities include the ownership of the development calendar, the achievement of profit margins which drive P&L goals, quality standards, and maintaining accurate documentation.
1. Blends art and science to create world-class products from defined, consumer-focused briefs.
2. Support & assist Design in establishing all product specifications required in the Tech Pack.
3. Prepares and maintain an accurately updated Specification Info for every product.
4. Serves as a pro-active conduit between the designer and sourcing throughout the development of a session.
5. Accountable for the staying on calendar, implementing process, proto critiques, accuracy of the specification pact and eventually the accuracy of the sales sample and production tech packs.
6. Creates documented critiques of each prototype against its agreed product specification, tracking all comments, changes and specifications during the stages of critique.
7. Implement Trend details and work with colorists to keep products at the forefront of trends.
8. Partners with sourcing and China Team to maintain an accurate BOM and costing sheet for each style.
9. Manage the development of products following the agreed design and development process and timeliness on time, in full and accurately.
10. Takes a proactive role through entire product design process (research, design conception presentation, illustrations, fit and direction and development of specification pack).
11. Constructs and follow-up product briefs and delivers a product that adheres to a specific target FOB.
12. Proactively communicates with internal team, contractors, Sourcing team and material suppliers during the entire development process.
13. Responsible for managing material usage and specifications to achieve production efficiencies.
14. Performs duties consistent with the company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
15. Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
• 5+ years in Apparel development experience
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) in Apparel/Textile Design, Technology, Merchandising, Engineering, Industrial Engineering or a related field.
• Technical Performance Material development experience
• Knowledge of PC applications.
• Advanced knowledge of apparel construction, material construction and properties, costing, embroidery, screen printing, sublimation and print techniques.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations.
• Good computer skills: Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) Adobe Illustrator a plus
• Strong ability to adhere to deadlines. Delivers accurate data on-time and in-full.
• Advanced knowledge of fit/construction and costing.
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Results orientation.
Normal office environment. Travel Required
Committed to a diverse workforce, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled).