From Paul Sperry and one man’s inventive spirit in 1935 to today, Sperry has forever inspired adventurous souls who strive for lives fully lived. Whether it’s the world’s first and original boat shoe or our sea-tested apparel, we equip all those who believe the best stories are written with your feet. So go out there, and live an adventure-filled life. Join our team and discover an odyssey in every day.
This position is responsible for setting the product strategy for each brand territory, working closely with senior product leadership, design, development, merchandising, marketing and finance to execute through commercialization. The Director of Product will lead assortment planning expertise with a comprehensive understanding of the competitive landscape, trend and innovation.
1. Creates the establishment of the strategic direction for the category platforms or brand territories.
2. Lead the product brief process to accurately describe a business opportunity that supports category strategy, provides design direction, describes competitive situation, determines sourcing needs, and sets costing/pricing parameters. Communicate initiatives in the context of strategy, trend and business dynamic.
3. Work with wholesale sales and retail buying team to maximize sales across categories and channels by delivering assortments with clear brand, product, and pricing segmentation.
4. Guide development from briefs through creative process by planning work flow, setting clear direction, and constant prioritization. Maintain a strong working relationship with Product Design to collaborate on new product innovations.
5. Create and adhere to seasonal product creation calendar.
6. Responsible for achieving sku productivity and margin goals on a seasonal basis. Must work effectively with Costing teams to ensure costing accuracy and timeliness.
7. Must have a strong sense of trends in footwear to optimize brand assortments and ensure product styling is competitive.
8. Work effectively and maintain strong relationships with the Sourcing and Development teams to ensure product is introduced on time to the market.
9. Effectively communicate business unit strategy, assortment and product flow strategies to groups inside and outside the company, including; management, sales, advertising agencies, team members and customers.
10. Establish relationships with key retailers and maintains ongoing communication to understand product performance relative to market and gain feedback on category direction and opportunities.
11. Responsible for understanding footwear market dynamics including; competitive environment, retail environment, market shifts, category dynamics (shoes, sandals, athletics). Create and consistently update competitive analysis. Perform category analysis on a monthly basis in conjunction with merchandising and finance.
12. Coordinates efforts with our international partners in support of a global product line.
13. Performs duties consistent with the company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
14. Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
Normal office environment
Travel required up to 30% of the time
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Committed to a diverse workforce, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled).